Martin Eisen - An Author Interview

Tell us a little about yourself, Martin.

I was a University Professor specializing in constructing mathematical models used for studying medical problems such as those in cancer chemotherapy and epilepsy.  I have authored 10 books and numerous papers in advanced mathematics. 
I have studied Yoga, Judo, Shotokan Karate, Aikido and Tai Chi. I taught Judo in a community center in Toronto. I was the founder and chief-instructor of the Shotokan Karate Clubs at Carnegie-Mellon and Dusquene Universities and the University of Pittsburgh.
I taught Tai Chi at community centers in New Jersey, the Chinese Community School of South Jersey, Temple University, a Master’s Dance Class at Glassboro State College and Triton High School and also Qigong at some of these locations.  I taught a Qigong course at Lehigh University.  I helped teach Yoga at Graterford prison.
One of Master Mark's students introduced me to Master Mark and Praying Mantis. I found the system so interesting that I devoted most of my time only to this art. I taught Praying Mantis at Master Mark’s School in Philadelphia and at Temple University. I became a Disciple of Master Mark and teach Praying Mantis, Qigong and Tai Chi at branches of Master Mark’s schools in South Jersey.
Master Mark fostered my interest in acupuncture, herbology, Chinese massage and Qigong. I took correspondence courses in Chinese herbology and studied other branches of Chinese medicine with a traditional Chinese medical doctor.  I was also an EMT.  I was the Director of Education of the Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture Institute in Upper Darby, P.A.  I have written many articles on Kung Fu, Qigong, Eastern exercise and Chinese medicine and is a columnist for Yang-Sheng magazine.  My latest Amazon hard copy and Kindle books are “Healthy Exercises for Seniors and Non-Athletes”.
I was honored by the University of Pittsburgh in 2001, on the 35th anniversary of the introduction of Shotokan Karate, as the founder, for contributing to its growth, popularity, and also to students’ character development. I was selected as one of the coaches for a world competition of the U.S. Wu Shu team in 2001. I received meritorious awards from Temple University National Youth Sports program in 1980 and from Camden County College for participation in a student sport program in 1979.

What were you like at school?

I had an aptitude for science and math.  I could solve every problem posed by teachers.


What are your ambitions for your writing career?

To provide useful information on health and exercise.

What writers inspire you?

Writers that provide useful information.

When did you write your first book?

1967.  I was 35. 

How many books have you written?

11

What Genre are your books?

Nonfiction.  Math.  Health and self defense.

What draws you to this genre?

I was a Math professor and wanted to do some interesting activities for health.
I taught and still teach different martial arts and was curious about their foundation.

How much research do you do?

I am curious about everything and always do research.

What does your family think of your writing?

My wife helps me.

I have collaborated with my wife for some of my books.

Why did you decide to collaborate?

My wife and I had similar interests and she was excellent at explaining things and in composition.

When did you decide to become a writer?

When I went to graduate school.

Why do you write?

I try to inform people about facts they do not know and give better explanations than in existing books.

Do you write full time or part time?

Part time

What is the hardest part about writing?

Doing the research

What is the easiest part?

Writing the book or paper after the research is done.

So, what have you written?

I have written 10 books and many papers on mathematics, many articles on Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Chinese medicine, Qigong Columns for Yang Sheng Magazine, and Amazon Kindle and hardcopy books.

Where can we see or buy them?

http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Exercises-Seniors-Non-Athletes-Martin-ebook/dp/B00GGOEDWU

http://home.comcast.net/~carolezak

http://yang-sheng.com/?author=15

http://www.amazon.com/Martin-M.-Eisen/e/B001HQ3B1Q/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0


Some of my websites can be found at :

http://home.comcast.net/~carolezak