Salem Kane - An Author Interview

Tell us a little about yourself and your background, Salem?

I was born on the East Coast, the youngest of three children.  Our father was in the Navy, so we moved around quite a bit.  I've lived in some interesting port cities, but eventually returned to the East Coast and settled in a small New England town about 40 minutes north of Boston.  I love baseball, cats, and think that the best popcorn in the world is sold at the Willows in Salem, MA.  


What are your ambitions for your writing career?

I would like to become the Terry Pratchett of Romance Novels.


Which writers inspire you?
 
So many...Terry Pratchett, Mary Jo Putney, Sir Walter Scott, and Jane Austin off the top of my head.  And probably some not many have heard of:  Ueda Rinko, Yukino Sai,  Takahashi Rumiko, and Yoshikawa Eiji.


What genre are your books?

Romance is always the overall theme...but I like to include elements of a fantasy or paranormal theme.  And humor.  


What draws you to this genre?

I'm just a hopeful romantic, I guess.  I have a pink side I'm pretty proud of.  And I've always wanted an exciting adventure with a handsome man.


Why do you write?

I love to tell stories and I always seem to have a story inside me. 


How much research do you do?

I do a ton of research...and the internet makes it so much easier! 


Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?

I do not.  I get caught up sometimes and find out that not only have I not had anything to eat, but two days have actually passed. 


Do you ever get writer’s Block?

I do.  We all do. 


Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block?

Exercise.  Physical activity is always a good way to get the juices flowing again.  For me, since I've taken karate, I'll run through my forms. 


Do you have any suggestions to become a better writer? If so, what are they?

Always find new ways to expand your craft.  Nothing is ever perfect and there is always room for improvement.  And there is always a new way to do the same thing and improve it. 


 What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Do not give up.  Even when you feel like nobody will read your stories, do not give up. 


So, what have you written?

I have one novel under my belt.  It's called Forbidden, and it's a contemporary romance with a slight fantasy element.  


Give us an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is so special?

What makes Rohana special?  Well, I know what makes her different: she does her best to save herself - or at least, hold out until the Calvary arrives.  She also comes to an understanding that while she changed herself to fit into her fiance's world,  the only way to find true love was to be true to herself.  


Where can we buy or see it?

Forbidden is available at Amazon.com 

http://www.amazon.com/Forbidden-Salem-Kane-ebook/dp/B00GDR56LM/


What are you working on at the minute?

A YA romance. 


What’s it about?

Think Ivanhoe in high school.  I want to take the concepts behind the characters of Ivanhoe and expand them into a modern setting. 


Thank you for taking the time to answer some questions, Salem, and where can readers connect with you?

Website: http://salemkane.weebly.com/
Twitter: @SalemKane
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/salem.kane.5

Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/salemkane/